Healthy fat sources can include nuts, seeds and many oils, as well as the naturally occurring fats in meats and some vegetables.
Healthy fat sources
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts and seeds provide a variety of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids (in some varieties) as well as fiber.
- As a snack or an addition to a salad, they can make a meal healthier as well as more filling.
- we gain the optimum benefit when we eat them in their natural state.
- Chocolate covered nuts or seeds mixed with dried fruit or granola add unnecessary carbohydrates and calories to the equation.
- benefits of nut and seed consumption come with one to one and a half ounces per day.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, Hazelnuts, Pecans, Sesame Seeds
Nuts are a great example.
- First, total calorie consumption can quickly get out of hand.
- Second, many nuts and seeds contain much more omega-6 than omega-3, which can skew the dietary ratio we should maintain for optimum health.
- Finally, a form of phosphorus stored in plants that in larger quantities can inhibit mineral absorption.
- If you’re not in the habit of eating nuts and seeds on a daily basis, weigh an ounce to get a visual sense of serving size.
Oils and Fats
- Fats have the potential to help or harm our health.
- Each fat and oil also has other nutritional benefits that are optimal when a fat is in its natural state.
- Saturated fats are the most stable, which reduces the chance that they will oxidize and become a source of free radicals for the body.
- Coconut oil and palm oil can play a useful and healthy role in our diets.
- Fats and oils to use: Almond Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil
Fats to Avoid
- Trans fats became popular around the same time that saturated fats were erroneously deemed unhealthy.
- Heavily processed oils such as soybean, corn, safflower, and canola oils are not a natural or healthy part of our diet.
- Fats and oils to avoid: Canola Oil, Hydrogenated Oil, Margarine
nuts, Highly concentrated in both their calories and their nutrients, a small handful of nuts packs a powerful punch. Eating a variety of nuts appears to be the best way to get all the different benefits each nut has to offer.